Sunday, August 26, 2018

White Room Writing

For a long time I have felt like posting some of my recent writings on here but I was afraid of people copying them or something but I worked really hard on some of these and would love for people to read them.

So, I go into the study room on my floor in West Hall. The room is empty, as usual. I spend almost every morning in here. The only chairs not stacked on the table are the 4 that I tried out, like Goldilocks, until I found the perfect spot in the room. The one with the perfect view of the window. Today I sit somewhere else though. Today I focus on the room.

My ideal creative space is a large, empty, closed off room with a clean floor. No people. No windows. Just space and mirrors. As a dancer I need the space, I don’t want to feel suffocated, I always want to feel like I could move and choreograph on the spot. I also hate to have people watch me create. I feel too much pressure and I don’t like to feel like I am doing something wrong. I love to have people watch my finished product because I love to perform, but for me the creative process must stay private.

I feel peace in this room. It’s quiet, empty and, without the large conference table, it is perfect for dancing. My only instinct in an empty space is to move, and if it’s big enough, to dance. It’s hard for me to sit still, so I don’t. I get up and sit on the floor and stretch my legs, which are sore from the first week of classes. The room is almost 100% silent, save for the sound of passersby and my thoughts. The quiet and the stretching combined have me so relaxed I feel that if I were to lay down, I would fall asleep in minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment